Sault is located between the Mont Ventoux and the Albion plateau, northeast of the Vaucluse department, adjoining the Drôme. More than just a village, Sault is a town of 1,400 inhabitants, urban center of this rural region of Haute Provence, away from major roads.
The scenery is beautiful. The city is built on a promontory of the Albion plateau opposite the eastern flank of Mount Ventoux, houses dominate the plain where golden wheat fields alternate with purple lavender. The surroundings are a perfect place for nature lovers, they will enjoy walking and hiking through aromatic scents. And for the sportier, a road climbs up to the summit of Mont Ventoux by the Chalet Reynard, it is reputed the (relatively :) less difficult climbing.
The Holy Roman Emperor Henry II the Lame gave the barony of Sault and its valley to Agoult Wolf, in recognition of services rendered. Sault became the stronghold of the house of Agoult, a great noble family of Provence. There is little left of feudal times in the architecture of the city: the castle was included in subsequent constructions. Are emerging here and there rounded bulge multi-secular feudal towers.
During World War II, the Sault was the home of a very active movement of resistance against Nazi occupiers. The Maquis Ventoux, delivered heavy fighting in 1943 and 1944, a memorial Maquis Ventoux lies at the foot of the city.
A weekly market is held every Wednesday since year1515.
Each August 15, Sault held a big feast of Lavender , where joins fans around the world of this aromatic plant.
Great selection of guest houses near Sault and the Plateau d'Albion
Sault's tourist office website : www.ventoux-sud.com
Sault's lavender feast website : www.fetedelalavande.fr
Coming to Sault
GPS coordinates 44°05'31'' N - 5°24'32'' E
Location : 760 meters above sea level, 1400 inhabitants, 6 miles from belvedere of the Nesque gorge, 8 miles from Montbrun-les-bains, 17 miles from Banon, 19 miles from Apt, 15 miles from the summit of Mont-Ventoux, 24 miles from Carpentras, 41 miles from Avignon.