Simiane-la-Rotonde is a perched village classified as a "village of character" on an advanced promontory of the Albion plateau above a plain planted with lavender fields. It is a magnificent example of a Provençal perched village.
The Rotonde crowns the village, it is the keep of a feudal castle of the Simiane-Agoult family. He forbids access to the village. Its exterior appearance is austere, but its interior ceiling is formed by a superb finely ribbed dome from the late 12th century. The Rotunda can be visited, the history of the castle is presented in a room, as well as the Sainte-Victoire aromatherapy laboratory, with a temporary exhibition. Like in the days of the troubadours, the Rotunda also hosts a festival: the rich musical hours of Simiane-la-Rotonde.
The upper part of the village includes beautiful houses from the 16th to the 18th century. The church of Sainte Victoire dates from the 16th century. Simiane-la-Rotonde experienced a period of prosperity thanks to the activity of Verrerie. Many workshops exported their production throughout Provence. The covered marketplaces, from which one can admire a superb panoramic view of the plain below and the peaks of the Luberon, were immortalized by a famous photographer Henri-Cartier Bresson in 1971.
Simiane la Rotonde, like many villages in the region, suffered from the rural exodus. The houses are now being restored with the installation of a new population. Around Simiane are fields of fine lavender that are cultivated between 800 and 1200 meters above sea level.
Information and accommodation in Simiane-la-Rotonde
Selection of guest rooms set near Simiane-la-Rotonde on the portal of bed and breakfast in Provence
web of Simiane-la-Rotonde municipality : www.simiane-la-rotonde.fr
Monuments et activités :
- Rotunda of the 12th century (to visit)
- covered Halles 16th century
- Church of Sainte-Victoire from the 16th century
- Mansions and houses from the Renaissance to the 18th century
- Museum of History, laboratory of aromatherapy
- Floral Park at the Abbey of Valsaintes (outside the village)
- Romanesque chapel Saint-Veran (outside the village)
- International Early Music Festival in August: website
- Votive Feast of the Sainte-Victoire the first weekend in May
- Fire of Saint John
- Medieval Festival the first weekend in July
- The area surrounding Simiane is suitable for hiking, cycling and mountain biking
Coming to Simiane-la-Rotonde
The commune of Simiane-la-Rotonde is located in the department of Alpes de Haute Provence (04)
GPS coordinates : N 43°58'52'' - E 5°33'45''