Simiane la Rotonde is a hilltop village classified as "city of character" on a promontory of the Albion plateau above a sunken plain planted with lavender fields. This is a magnificent example of Provençal hilltop village.
La Rotonde crowns
the village, the dungeon of a castle of Simiane-Agoult family. He
defends access to the village. Its appearance is austere from the
outside, but his ceiling is formed inside a beautiful ribbed dome
of the late 12th century, finely made. La Rotonde is
open to visitors, the castle's history is presented in a room, as
well as the laboratory of aromatherapy Sainte-Victoire and a temporary
exhibition. Reviving the time of the troubadours, La Rotonde also
hosts a festival: the rich musical hours of Simiane-la-Rotonde, which
celebrates its 28th edition in 2011.
The upper part of the village has beautiful house from the 16th to the 18th century. Simiane-la-Rotonde experienced a period of prosperity thanks to the activity of the glassware. Many workshops exported their production throughout Provence. Les Halles covered, where you can admire a panoramic view of the valley below and the mountains of Luberon immortalized in a famous photograph of the photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson in 1971. The church Sainte Victoire from the 16th century.
Simiane la Rotonde suffered the rural exodus, as many villages in the area, but the houses are now restored with the installation of a new rural population. It produced Simiane of lavender that grows at the altitude between 800 and 1200 meters.
Coming to Simiane-la-Rotonde : location GPS N 43°58'52'' - E 5°33'45''
The commune of Simiane-la-Rotonde is located in the department of Alpes de Haute Provence (04)
Accommodation in Simiane-la-Rotonde :
Selection of guest rooms set near Simiane-la-Rotonde on the portal of bed and breakfast in Provence
web of Simiane-la-Rotonde municipality : www.simiane-la-rotonde.fr
Monuments et activités :
Rotunda of the 12th century (to visit)
- covered Halles 16th century
- Church of Sainte-Victoire from the 16th century
- Mansions and houses from the Renaissance to the 18th century
- Museum of History, laboratory of aromatherapy
- Floral Park at the Abbey of Valsaintes (outside the village)
- Romanesque chapel Saint-Veran (outside the village)
- International Early Music Festival in August: website
- Votive Feast of the Sainte-Victoire the first weekend in May
- Fire of Saint John
- Medieval Festival the first weekend in July
- The area surrounding Simiane is suitable for hiking, cycling and mountain biking
|report © photos & text Vincent Flachaire|