Le Barroux is a very pretty provençal village at the foot of Mont Ventoux, perched on a promontory above the narrow valley between the foothills of Mont Ventoux and the Dentelles de Montmirail.
The photogenic Château du Barroux stands on the ridge dominating the plain of Comtat, it controls the road up to Malaucene in narrow gorges below. In medieval origin, the castle was overhauled in the Renaissance (1539-1544), his appearance perfectly illustrates the castles built in this time of transition, the dual residential and military function.
Newly built, the castle already knows the dark episodes of the Wars of Religion, a group of Protestant soldiers took it up by force, it is taken back by the Catholic troops shortly after. Highly degraded at the beginning of the 20th century, the castle was restored before the 2nd World War. In 1944, a violent clash occured between the Resistance and retreating German troops. In retaliation, the Germans burned the castle and plunder the village.
Beautifully restored after the war, the visit of the castle and the village offers a very pleasant stroll through its picturesque streets. Outlooks over the plain towards Carpentras, the Laces of Montmirail and Mont Ventoux are very nice.
On a nearby hill Barroux, Dom Gerard Calvet and Benedictine monks founded in 1978 a new abbey, Abbaye Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux, and a build a Romanesque church that emerges above the forest . The building is spectacular and demonstrates the vitality of the community of monks.
A walk on the paths of the town among vineyards leads you to the remains of a curious 19th century aqueduct whose remains is circular arch.
Coming to Le Barroux
GPS coordinates 44°08'16'' N - 5°06'01'' E
• Bed and breakfast near Le Barroux and the Mont Ventoux
• village website: www.mairie-lebarroux.fr
• Castle of le Barroux : www.chateau-du-barroux.com
Location : 350 metres above sea level, 650 inhabitants, 4 miles from Malaucène, 6 miles from Beaumes-de-Venise, 8 miles from Bédoin, 8 miles from Carpentras, 10 miles from Vaison-la-Romaine, 22 miles from Avignon.